Girls Track introduces new head coach

Sam Arco, Co-Editor

The girls track team finally returned to action after a three week hiatus due to cold weather.

The girls competed in a quad meet against NIC-10 foes Belvidere North, Rockford Guilford, and Rockford Auburn at Belvidere North High School on April 12.

It was the girls first outdoor meet of the season, so the meet was used as a learning experience for most of the girls on the team, and was used to improve on personal records.

The girls finished in fourth place with a total of 43 points. The girls were lead by junior Emma Salley who took home a first place finish in the long jump with a jump of 15’5. Salley also placed third in the triple jump and second in the 100- meter Dash.

“It felt good to finally get back and compete in a meet after a lot of practices for the last couple of weeks. Despite only having one outdoor meet this year, I feel like our team has improved a lot,” said Salley.

Also during the girls long break from their last meet, the team introduced a new head coach in place of former head coach John Cook. Coach Tim Brooks was named the new head coach for the girls team. Brooks was a former middle school track coach, so he has some experience for the position.

“My transition from the middle school to the high school has been very smooth. The other coaches on the girls team and all the boys track coaches have been very helpful. The girls on the team have been so amazing. I knew most of them from the middle school when they ran for me in track or cross country. It’s a great group of girls and there is a lot of talent. I’m looking forward to getting to know them more and seeing their progress throughout the season,” said Brooks.

The girls next meet is April 18 against Hononegah and Belvidere North here at Belvidere High School.