Scholastic bowl dominates regional

Back to Article
Back to Article

Scholastic bowl dominates regional

Larry Larson, Co-Editor

After going 16-2 in NIC-10 conference play, and placing in the top three in multiple tournaments, the Belvidere Scholastic Bowl team was primed for their IHSA regional.

The Bucs received the #3 seed in the Huntley sectional, which was highest in the March 5 Belvidere regional.

The Bucs wasted no time searching for their second regional title in three years.

In the first round, Belvidere demolished Harvard 770-40, to move to the second round where they defeated Hononegah handedly 580-200. The Bucs were then matched up with #8 seeded Sycamore, who narrowly defeated Belvidere North 350-340 to advance to the championship round.

Belvidere previously met Sycamore at the Masonic Scholastic Bowl Tournament, where the Bucs narrowly came away with the victory on a sudden-death overtime question.

The rematch was a far cry from the two team’s previous match-up, as the Bucs pulled away early and won by a score of 610-180 to capture the school’s fifth scholastic bowl regional.

“We are quicker on the buzzer than Sycamore. Also, we did not have Isaiah at Masonic Regionals, and he is our math and science specialist,” said coach Stuart Teso-Warner

The Bucs were led by team captain, Junior Nick Larson, and Junior Isiah Lopez, both of whom were named to the Illinois high school scholastic bowl coaches association’s all-sectional team. Larson received the second most votes, only behind Auburn’s Ethan Strombeck.

The Bucs now move on to the March 10 sectional, where they will take on Auburn, Burlington Central, and Prairie Ridge with a trip to state on the line.

The Bucs biggest challenger is likely to be Auburn, who were responsible for the Bucs only losses in NIC-10 play.

“If we want to have a chance against [Auburn] we need to have a good rhythm going and play aggressively,” said Larson, “we had some big wins on Monday, so the momentum should carry over into sectional play against higher level teams.”

“You never know what could happen with the right set of questions and a bit of luck. Like most of the team, I am not blindly optimistic about defeating Auburn. However, we are there for good competition, and we will certainly get that,” said Warner.