Bucs can’t finish thrilling comeback

Larry Larson, Co-Editor

The last time the Bucs took on Boylan, they lost by 40 on their home floor. They didn’t let it happen again.

After defeating Harvard 70-40 on Feb. 26, the Bucs were matched up against the top seeded, NIC-10 co-champion Titans, whom they lost their two previous match ups with (61-56 on Dec. 15 and 65-25 on Feb. 16).

Boylan picked up right where they left off against the Bucs, taking a 17-point lead into the half, rendering the home crowd silent.

After the half, the Bucs scored 21 points in the third quarter, outscoring their first half total of 16, but Boylan still held a 48-37 lead.

In the fourth, the Bucs furiously stormed back, going on a 20-4 run causing the crowd to errupt. With about four minutes to go, the team held a 57-52 advantage.

“Coach just told us it wasn’t over,” said senior Phil Kolk about the comeback, “We switched to full court man instead of 2-3 zone which got their shooters out of rhythm.”

Seemingly all the possible momentum was on Belvidere’s side until Senior Shawn Dean received a technical foul after lightly shoving a Boylan player.

Boylan’s Ben Ambrose hit both free throws to start a 10-0 run that downed the Bucs, 62-57.

Dean led the way for the Bucs with 16, Kolk had 15, and junior Zack Tobler had 13. It was the second game in a row the trio was in double figures.

“It was just a great team effort and an amazing atmosphere. The student section was loud and into the game and so was everyone else in the crowd,” said senior Brady Hauser, “We played right with [Boylan] and almost created one of the biggest upsets in NIC-10. It was just a very fun game to be a part of.”

With the loss, the Bucs finish the season with a record of 6-24. Kolk fell just 30 points short of the school record for points in a season, but won the NIC-10 scoring title, averaging 18 points per game.