NBA All Star weekend doesn’t disappoint

NBA All-Star game has been notorious for being boring, with no defense and high scoring. This year the NBA was looking to change some things up to get their viewers back up, and that’s what happened.

All-Star weekend started off with the Rising Stars game. Team World beat Team USA, 155-124. Bogdan Bogdanovic won MVP of the game. He finished with 26 points and knocked down seven three-pointers. Buddy Hield led Team World with 29 points. Jaylen Brown led Team USA with 35 points on 14-of-21 shooting. Kyle Kuzma also added another 20 points for Team USA. A few young stars got to mess around and put up some big numbers. This was a good start to All-Star weekend and set the tone for the rest of the weekend.

To add some amusement, the Skills competition turned out to be a good source of a laugh. Four gaurds and four bigs race each other to complete an obstacle course. The winner is crowned the most skilled player in the NBA. Joel Embiid tried to pull a fast one and cheat his victory, but still lost in the end. Spencer Dinwiddie of the Nets beat out Lauri Markkanen of the Bulls to win the most skilled player in the NBA.

The three-point contest featured some names people would probably expect in Klay Thompson, Devin Booker, Eric Gordon and Paul George. One name that was left out that surprised me was, three-point specialist Steph Curry. The young star in Booker took the three point contest by storm staying hot and putting up numbers. He beat out Thompson, and was crowned the three point contest winner.

For most people, the dunk contest is the most exciting competition to watch throughout All-Star weekend. Larry Nance Jr, Donovan Mitchell, Dennis Smith Jr., and Victor Oladipo were all participants of this contest.┬áSmith Jr. nailed what looked to be one of the best dunks of the contest, but was knocked out in the first round along with Oladipo. The judges seemed to be giving out abnormally high scores in this contest, but it was still enjoyable. Rookie sensation Donovan Mitchell’s season just keeps getting more impressive, edging Nance Jr. 98-96 in the final round.

“I think a lot of the NBA All-Star weekend is superficial now. Not very authentic. Lots of missed dunks in the contest, but people still get high scores. There were almost more mistakes than makes,” said Larry Larson.

The All-Star game started off pretty rocky with Fergie’s National Anthem. This was a very controversial topic as she was bashed on social media for her poor performance. Not very many people knew what to expect coming off of the lame All-Star games of the past. The NBA took a new approach to the game this year by naming LeBron James and Curry captains of their respective teams. Many late injuries definitely impacted the teams. DeMarcus Cousins being one of the biggest to go down. Oladipo made a dunk in the game that he had missed previously in the dunk contest. James got to show his dominance, flirting with a triple double and winning the game MVP. Team LeBron edged Team Steph 148-145. Even though it was a high scoring affair, players from both sides seemed to have cared a little more, and gave a little more effort to the game this year. This was the cherry on top for what was a great 2018 All-Star Weekend.