Black Panther shatters box office records

Sam Arco, Co-Editor

One of the most anticipated Marvel superhero movies of the year arrived to theaters on Feb.16 for it’s incredible opening weekend.

This was the first installment of the Black Panther trilogy, and although it’s just another Marvel movie in the seemingly enormous Marvel Cinematic Universe these days, Black Panther is different because of it’s majority of African-American cast members.

Black Panther follows T’Challa, played by Chadwick Boseman, who returns to his home nation of Wakanda to take place as king after the events of “Captain America: Civil War,” when T’Challa’s father passed away.

I really liked Boseman’s performance in this movie. He does a great job of developing a character who has to balance becoming a king and saving his home from evil.

Black Panther features a lot of new faces to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Danai Gurira plays Okoye, who is a leader of Wakanda’s armed forces. Lupita Nyong’o plays as Nakia, who is T’Challa’s love interest. Letitia Wright plays Shuri, who is T’Challa’s sister. I really enjoyed Wright in this movie; she was a character who had some funny lines and made the movie fun for families.

Black Panther also featured a fresh face to the villain role. Michael B. Jordan plays as Killmonger, who is an interesting character that I’m glad the producers brought to the big screen. The movie does a great job of tying up Killmonger’s background to the present day, which shows his motives of doing things.

Black Panther’s opening weekend was a big success. According to CNN, Black Panther rolled in over $200 million over it’s first three days out in theaters. This makes Black Panther the biggest opening weekend in history for the month of February, and the fifth highest grossing film in history.

So if you have nothing to do and want to go see a good movie, go check out Black Panther in theaters today at AMC Showplace Rockford 16 or AMC Showplace Machesney Park 14.