Bucs host regionals

Jacob Popovich, Writer

Belvidere High School is hosting the boys basketball regional the week on Feb. 26. Some other schools in our regional consist of Boylan, Rockford Lutheran, Genoa Kingston, and Harvard.

Boylan with the No. 1 seed in the sectional gets a bye in the first round. They will face the winner of Belvidere and Harvard who play the first play-in game on Feb. 26. Boylan is led by senior Ben Ambrose who leads the team with 10.5 points per game. Sophomore Anthony Brown also helps leading the NIC-10 with 1.6 blocks per game.

The No. 4 seed Rockford Lutheran will be going up against the No. 7 seed Genoa Kingston. Lutheran is led by star senior Kenny Strawbridge. Lutheran is 7-2 in conference and 14-14 overall.

Genoa Kingston battles Lutheran Wednesday Feb. 28. at 7 p.m. The very young Genoa team is coming in with four seniors and are led by juniors Mike Trzynka, Griffin Hanson, and Nate Nesler. Genoa Kingston finished the season with a record of 7-21.

The No. 8 seed Belvidere Bucs come into regionals a big underdog. The Bucs are also coming into the game very young with only four seniors also. Senior Phil Kolk leads the Bucs with 18.1 points and 1.8 steals per game. The Bucs will go up against Harvard in the regional play in game on Feb. 26.

Harvard High School is coming into the regional with a No. 11 seed. Hornets are in the KRC conference with Burlington Central, Johnsburg, Woodstock, Woodstock North, Richmond Burton and Marengo. Harvard finished its season 4-18.

The winner of the regional will advance to the Woodstock North sectional.