Scholastic Bowl team places third at Masonic Regional

Greg Suthers, Staff Intern

The 2017-2018 BHS Scholastic Bowl continues their success after they placed third at the Masonic Regional, held Saturday, Feb. 17 at Boylan Catholic High School.

The team Finished this season in second place in the conference going 14-3 just behind Auburn’s 17-0 and just ahead of Guilford’s 11-6.

The third place team consisted of seven BHS students Jon Varela, Owin Hunter, Nick and Larry Larson, Leo Alfaro, Kevin Jenks, James Wiedow.

While being short for players a new person had to step in for the recent tournament sophomore, Leo Alfaro. Although he didn’t get any points during the tournament he had a good time.

“It was a lot of fun and a great experience,” said Alfaro.

Despite finishing behind Kaneland and Auburn, Head Coach Mr. Stuart Teso-Warner was still very proud of his teams effort.

Coach Teso-Warner said, “I think we exceeded our expectations in some respects. We are pushing ourselves harder by going to more tournaments and by hosting tournaments here at BHS.”

The BHS Scholastic Bowl team is hosting a National History Bee and Bowl Regional on March 31st of this year.

Coach Warner is really interested in getting new players in the 9th and 10th grade level next year.

“I am hoping we will have more people join the team at the 9th- or 10th-grade level. I think trivia is fun and hope more people will try it out. You don’t have to be an exceptional player to enjoy the sport, and with the right training and practice, anyone can become a decent quiz bowl player.” said Coach Teso-Warner.

Warner said, “Students can join scholastic bowl at any time by just showing up to practice. Practice is held in Mr. Teso-Warner’s room (230) from 3:05-4:30 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and in Mr. Tatman’s room on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Anyone who is looking to learn more about a particular subject, or who just likes trivia in general, would enjoy Scholastic Bowl.”