Girls Basketball finishes season strong

The girls participated in the Marengo regional on Feb. 12 and 13, facing Genoa Kingston and Burlington Central.

The girls matched up against Genoa Kingston on Monday, Feb. 12. The Lady Bucs won this game, 33-30. Sophomore Maya Smith added up quite a game, scoring 13 points, five rebounds and five steals. Senior M’Kahla Miner added another 13 points for the Lady Bucs.

“Our defense was the big spark in our win against Genoa Kingston. We played a solid four quarters of defense and really hustled. We had two players, Maya Smith and M’Kahla Miner each with 13 points. We will look for scoring from these two moving forward when playing Burlington Central. Our focus is always on defense, so hopefully the success we had against Genoa Kingston will lead us to great things against Burlington Central,” said coach Christina Douglas.

In the second round, the Lady Bucs faced Burlington Central in what was a closely contested game. The girls lost, 47-35. Senior Bryanna Williams had seven points and nine rebounds. Junior Addison Dylak added another 11 points. Smith joined in on the fun with 13 points and seven rebounds. This loss will wrap up the season for girls basketball.

“Our seniors were our foundation for the team and the juniors stepped up into some big roles this year. We started with nine players who did not have varsity experience. The first half of our season was building our trust in one another and gaining experience. We really started to play our best basketball around Christmas break,” said Douglas.

Douglas added, “The girls had some really tough battles this year with teams and competed in just about every game played. The girls improved tremendously. The girls were relentless on the defensive end. Some players became more confident offensively and we began to gain more scoring from multiple players. Many girls filled their roles with no doubt or hesitation, and because of this we had successful moments throughout the season,”

The girls finished out their season with a 6-22 record, (1-14 in conference).

“This season has taught us more than just about basketball. It has taught us how to persevere through the tough times, even when the odds are stacked against us. Despite our record, basketball has made each of us into better individuals,” said Miner.