Bucs send two wrestlers to sectionals

Sam Arco, Co-Editor

On Feb. 3 the Belvidere Bucs wrestling team competed in the Class 2A Regional here at Belvidere High School. The Bucs sent three wrestlers in the meet to compete for a trip to the Class 2A Sectional at Sycamore High School this weekend.

Sophomore Presley Beasley wrestled in the 113-pound weight class finishing with a second place finish narrowly suffering a loss in the championship match 5-4. Despite the loss, Beasley will be moving on to sectionals for his second place finish.

Also moving on to sectionals for the Bucs is junior Glenn Winchel. Winchel competed in the 170-pound weight class finishing with a third place finish, good enough for a trip to sectionals.

“I’m really happy with my performance at regionals, and I’m looking forward to competing this weekend for a chance to go to state,” said Winchel.

On Jan. 27, the Bucs competed in the NIC-10 Conference meet at Boylan Catholic High School. The Bucs placed well, coming out of the church with a fifth place finish.

Sophomore Presley Beasley lead the Bucs with a first place finish at the 113-pound weight class. Beasley is the first conference champion for Belvidere since 2015, when Christian Arias did it. Beasley will look to keep his momentum rolling in the post-season as sectionals approaches.

The Bucs will compete at sectionals this weekend at Sycamore High School, where Beasley and Winchel will look to advance to the State meet in Champaign, IL.

“It’s gonna be tough for them to advance to state, but if they don’t make any mistakes they should be put in a good enough position where anything can happen,” said Coach Dan McNames.