Trump’s state of the union address no surprise

5

1

Larry Larson, Co-Editor

The American people saw President Donald Trump preform his constitutional duty by giving his first state of the union address on Tuesday, Jan. 30th.

Going into the speech, the country was unsure what to expect. Would we see the collected, and more politician like “Teleprompter Trump”, or would we get the erratic and unpredictable “Twitter Trump”

When Trump began his address, it was clear he would stick to the teleprompter, and other than a few off the cuff remarks, he did so for the entirety of the one hour and 20 minute speech.

The speech was quite the similar to his first speech in front of a joint session of Congress, which he gave Feb. 28, 2017. It was a positively toned speech, not addressing many of the issues facing his administration.

The address was the epitome of a Donald Trump speech.

He first began with the one overwhelming positive of his first year in office: the Economy. Unemployment rates are down across the board, and the stock market was booming (until yesterday, when the Dow free-fell over 1,000 points). While the President deserves some credit for sustaining this economic growth, it’s not a trend that was started by him or his administration…

Eventually, he got to the issue of immigration, and revealed a plan for reform, with compromises on both sides. The plan includes a path to citizenship for “dreamers” and of course, the signature campaign promise of a “great wall”. Though the President claimed it was a bi-partisan solution, the Democrats seemed none too pleased, and let out a few boos.

Although Trump never veered from his script, the speech wasn’t without some subtle jabs. He mentioned standing for the National Anthem out of respect for veterans in a shot at the NFL. Additionally, while the president was on the topic of the American dream, he said, “Americans are dreamers, too” which was likely in reference to DACA “dreamers”

Another signature of Trump’s speeches, the lack of elaboration, was certainly present in the address. Other than the immigration plan, the President failed to lay out any specific plans to address problems like the opioid crisis, high prescription drug prices, and simply closing the division of the country.

But clearly, this is the content people love out of Trump. General, grandiose statements that get the people excited are what got him elected. The Republicans in the chamber echoed this trend.

There were over 100 clap lines, many prompted by Trump, who frequently clapped for himself, and prompted people to “please stand” after mentioning them in stories. The speech would’ve had a much more natural flow had he let the gallery decide when they wanted to clap or give a standing ovation. Considering invited guests along with the Republican majority, the crowd had no trouble indulging the President in applause.

While the content of the speech was exactly what the Trump administration and supporters could’ve asked for, the flow of the speech was quite frankly awkward.

While the President claimed this is our “New American moment” it is not quite a new moment for his speeches.