Del Rey Performs at The United Center

Paola Medina, Staff Intern

The two best things from seeing Lana Del Rey at the United Center in Chicago on Jan. 11 were getting free concert tickets and the chance to hear my idol live.

The day before the concert I had begged my parents to let me go; they had said no plenty of times. Later that night I logged in on my Twitter and looked up “Lana Del Rey Chicago tickets” hoping to find really cheap tickets. I ended up finding a person that was giving away two free tickets. I messaged him about it, and then he emailed me the tickets. There were two tickets so I decided to take my cousin, Carmen Hernandez, a senior at BHS.

When we got to the United Center we instantly saw the big colorful screens on what the upcoming shows are  and pictures of the Chicago Bulls logo. Knowing that I was at the same place where my idol was made me feel really excited and anxious. We made it inside the building passing security and getting to  our seats was not that difficult to do because the building has signs everywhere, so no one would ever get lost.

I had friends that had general admission seats willing to save me a spot if I had gotten them. One of my Facebook friends, Angel Campos, has seen her five times now and was super excited to be closer to her. That day of the concert Campos got there at 9 a.m. Chicago’s weather was really bad that day. There was signs of really icy roads which can be really dangerous. The temperature was going to drop that night.

“Of course it was cold and rainy that day. I didn’t care what I had to go through I was determined to see my favorite musician live and up close. My favorite parts of the show were slower songs like “Video Games” or the unexpected acapella rendition of “Get Free”. I’ll always love Lana to the moon and back,” said Campos.

Patience is one thing that is needed for a concert, because singers like Del Rey sometimes have opening acts. Jhene Aiko was one of Del Rey’s opening acts. She is dating famous singer/rapper Big Sean. Her opening act was for at least 20 minutes only playing four songs. We had to wait for almost half an hour for Del Rey to get on stage. I’ve never expected to actually be there when I saw the logos of her concert.

“I’m glad Lana Del Rey was my first concert experience,¨ said Hernandez.

When Del Rey got on stage the crowd went wild, getting me super excited. The first song she performed was beautiful. Many people cried, and I cried because her voice was really good. I think that she sings better in real life. Singing about 24 songs, one of my favorite ones was White Mustang, Cherry, Ride, and Serial Killer. This was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. She will continue touring around the world, currently finishing the US with Nevada and Hawaii. The United Center will be hosting Romeo Santos on Feb. 28.