Filed under Sports

Boys swim into postseason

The Men’s Swimming and Diving team has continued to shatter records this season as they were back in action on Jan. 21, finishing fourth out of eight teams at the Mary Landa Invitational at Woodstock North High School.

Devin Green set a new meet record in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:48.54, just .03 seconds slower than his best time on the season. Green also set new BNHS records in the 50 freestyle (22.54) and 100 freestyle (49.20) by way of leading off the 200 and 400 freestyle relays.

The 200 freestyle relay team of Green, Oryi Tucker, Jacob Pearson, and Daniel Golonka broke the BNHS 200 freestyle relay record with a time of 1:36.29. This time also puts the relay one second off of the BHS record. The same four swimmers also broke the BNHS and BHS records in the 400 freestyle relay with a new time of 3:32.90.

“I’m feeling pretty confident about the team heading into our championship season. We have a pretty strong freshmen class and will be competitive at the Freshmen Invite on Jan. 29, and the Fresh/Soph Conference meet on Feb. 3. We are looking to move up the standing in the NIC-10 Varsity Conference Meet, Feb. 10, after finishing sixth last year. I am hoping to finish 3-5 this year,” said Head Coach Mr. David Graffy.

Graffy is expecting a big performance from senior diver Jacob Hedberg heading into the postseason.

“He has a very good chance to make it back to the state meet for the fourth time in his career this year. He has finished 11th, 12th, and 10th his first three years on the team, and is looking to finish even higher this year,” said Graffy.

The swimming and diving team will compete at the NIC-10 meet on Feb. 10, and the IHSA Sectional meet will be held Feb. 17.

The Men’s Swimming and Diving also team had a meet on Jan. 13  at the J-Hawk Invite and Hinsdale Central Diving Invitational. The team finished in eighth place at the J-Hawk Invite, while Jacob Hedberg finished sixth out of 52 divers at the Hinsdale Central Diving Invite.

Junior Jackson Kirane placed second in diving, junior Oryi Tucker placed seventh in the 200 individual medley and seventh place in the 100 butterfly, and freshman Daniel Golonka placed 10th in the 100 freestyle.

The 200 medley relay team of Vaughn Beiersdorff, Sevan Ozartun, Jacob Pearson, Devon Page finished 10th. Tucker, Michael Gill, Pearson and Golonka competed in the 200 and 400 Freestyle relays finishing seventh and fifth respectively.

In addition to swimming competitions, three boys also took on the annual Wendy’s Challenge. Senior Michael Gill led the way and setting a new team record, finishing with a time of 5:38.30. junior Devon Page was second with a time of 14:42.88, while senior Nick Rufenacht gave it a valiant effort but couldn’t complete the challenge.