Dance team prepares for sectionals

Jacob Taft, Writer

The dance team placed fifth at the Fieldcrest High School Invite on Jan. 13. This was the last competition for the Lady Bucs before sectionals.

The Bucs performed well enough to get them in to the top five at the Fieldcrest Invite. This was the team’s first top five finish this season, and this was great for the team heading in to sectional weekend.

The conference competition was at Boylan on Jan. 12. Every school in the NIC-10 has a dance team this year, and the Bucs were the first team on the line-up. The team didn’t have a single violation, but sadly they still placed eighth in the competition.

“It was disappointing to get eighth, but I thought we did great so I’m proud of the girls,” said junior Kayla Konieckzi.

Before conference, the team had a competition at Huntley High School on Jan. 7, and unfortunately they didn’t do too great there either. With 35 teams in their division, the Bucs could only manage to place ahead of two teams.

The Lady Bucs are competing at sectionals on Jan. 20 at Sycamore High School, and coach Sheila Gonzales is very confident.

“I believe the team will do great at sectionals. They have a goal as a team to increase their score each time they compete. The girls have worked hard this season to get to this point. First place or last place the team has done an amazing job this year and they are all winners for being so committed to the team and season,” said Gonzales.