“Stranger Things 2” comes to Netflix

Sam Arco, Co-Editor

One of the most anticipated series ever on Netflix returned for its sophomore season on Oct. 27.

The Oct. 27 release date on Netflix couldn’t have come faster for many fans of the show, as the hype for the second season was massive, and for the most part, Stranger Things 2 lived up to the expectations. Within the first few days of the release, the premiere episode drew a whopping 15.8 million viewers, making it currently the most in-demand show in the U.S.

Stranger Things 2 is set a year after the events of Stranger Things, which was introduced to Netflix in the summer of 2016, and instantly became a fan favorite. Stranger Things 2 follows the same group of kids who live in Hawkins, Indiana, a small town where everyone knows everyone, and the supernatural occurs.

As we last saw the gang in season one, the mysterious eleven (played by Millie Bobby Brown) seemed to sacrifice herself to defeat the upside down monster to save her friends, resulting in her disappearance.  We also saw the reappearance of Will Byers, who was missing since the first episode of the show, return from the upside down.

In Stranger Things 2, the gang finds out that Will’s disappearance in season one was only the beginning of what was to come to Hawkins, and for them the adventure continues as they look to discover the truth about the shadow monsters and the upside down.

Returning cast members include Finn Wolfhard as Mike Wheeler, Caleb McLaughlin as Lucas Sinclair, Noah Schnapp as Will Byers, Gaten Matarazzo as Dustin Henderson, and Millie Bobby Brown as the telekinetic Eleven.

With the majority of season one characters returning for season two, producers Matt and Ross Duffer have added a couple of fresh faces to the hit series.

New to season two include Sadie Sink as Max Hargrove, the new girl to Hawkins, Dacre Montogomery as Billy Hargrove, the new school bully, Sean Astin as Bob Newby, who plays Joyce Byers’ new love interest, and Paul Reiser, as Dr. Sam Owens, who plays the new doctor who takes place for the infamous Dr. Martin Brenner, who disappeared after the events of season one’s finale.

The one downside about stranger things is that both seasons have been relatively short. The first season only had eight episodes and the second season has nine. So if you’re like me, you’ll binge watch the whole season in less than two days, and will be stuck waiting a whole year for the next season to arrive. Nonetheless, the Duffer brothers have confirmed that there will be a Stranger Things 3, expected to arrive in late 2018.

I personally enjoyed watching season two, I liked what the producers did with Joe Keery’s character, Steve Harrington. He has one of the most interesting character arcs in the show, and I think the producers nailed it just right.

“I’ve really enjoyed watching Stranger Things, I’ve been hooked on the show since the first episode. I’m excited for what season two has to offer,” said senior Breanna Jensen.

Stranger Things 2 has been given a 94 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but for me, I give it an 11 out of 10.