The Student News Site of Belvidere High School

Bucs can’t contain Knights

Larry Larson, Co-Editor

The Bucs weren’t able to stop the undefeated Auburn Knights on Friday, as they fell 54-14 at Wyeth Stadium at Auburn. The loss drops the Bucs to 1-4, and keeps Auburn in a tie for first in the conference.

The Bucs game into riding high off last week’s victory, and held the powerful Knights offense scoreless in the first quarter. The scoreless tie didn’t last long in the second quarter, though, as Auburn scored first on 58 yard punt return touchdown. The Bucs answered back with a 26 yard touchdown catch by Senior Shawn Dean. After the Knights put up another touchdown, Dean scored again, this time on a 57 yard touchdown catch to tie it at 14.

That was the closest the Bucs would come the rest of the night, as Auburn scored an unanswered six touchdowns to pull away.

“Fatigue is obviously an issue for us, because of the low numbers, but our guys play hard,” said Senior Phil Kolk. “We’re looking to tweak some things for this week, and put in a good game plan”

The Bucs had another good passing game, posting 265 yards through the air, but the team was only able to come up with 20 rush yards.

The defense allowed 397 total yards, 240 of which were rushing.

This week, the Bucs head home to take on another undefeated team in the Hononegah Indians. Last season, the Indians narrowly defeated the Bucs 35-27. Kolk posted a school record 226 receiving yards in the loss.